Message #2838

From: Brandon Wong <brandonc.wong55@ymail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] New 4D solver :)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:36:04 -0700

Hi Michael.

Wow! It’s just so amazing to finally get to have such a well known and respected person in the speedsolving community to have solved a hypercube. Sorry about the shortness of this email, but to answer your question regarding big-hypercubes, not many people in this group have found interest in going past 5^4, let alone bothering with 7^4 or 8^4. However, you could try them, out and probably become the first to solve them. I personally stopped at 4^4, as I found that I could solve do all n^4 from then on, but I certainly would like to try 3^5, 3^6, and 3^7 someday, and eventually see even more activity with 5th dimensional puzzles and higher, from other people like you. By comparison to your blistering time, my best for 3^4 is roughly 2 hours, but I’m hoping to pick it back up and practice, as to enter in the hypercube speedsolving competition this group was planning on setting up sometime - of which you should definitely join, since you seem to have such an interest that. Once again, congrats on such an amazing achievement, and best of luck with other hyper-twsitypuzzles in the future.

Cheers,
Brandon.

P.S. Just as an aside, I was just using your fantastic qqtimer yesterday - setting a PB for avg100 for 3x3 of 17.25s with std dev of 1.63, avg12 of 15.98s, and avg5 of 15.04s - and am wondering if you could give me some real expert advice on how to average sub-10. I have now been cubing for over 5 years, and have been jumping between trying to specialize in all WCA events - except multi-bld and feet - and feel as though I’ve gone in the wrong direction and have almost stopped improving. What do you suggest I do?

Sent from my iPad