Message #2739

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] {3,3,6} crystal cube
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 11:45:27 -0500

Hi Melinda,

Here is an stl file for a single unit of the {3,8}b.

www.gravitation3d.com/lasercrystal/{3,8}b_one.stl

However, I sent an email to them about how close they can engrave to the
surface, and this was their response:

I checked with our artist and we normally do 5mm from each side.

> If you have an order of 5 pieces or less we can do 3mm as they would each
> have to be measured.
>
> The reason is that each piece is handmade and are not guaranteed to be
> exactly 60mm. Some are slightly smaller so the image can come out of the
> glass if the image is too big.

So it sounds like we won’t be able to get the reflection effect you were
hoping for. Another approach would be to not rely on reflections, and just
make a model with 8 or 27 or 64 repeating cells in the main area. Models
of the other IRPs with repeated units included would be neat to see as well.

Roice