Message #2728

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Puzzle in Minkowski Space?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:21:11 -0500

This is a cool topic, and I plan to follow any developing insights. Here
are a couple thoughts I’ve had on this:

On Jeff Week’s Hyperbolic Games
page<http://geometrygames.org/HyperbolicGames/index.html>,
he makes the following relevant remark:

Hyperbolic Games also highlight the under-appreciated fact that two
> traditional models of the hyperbolic plane are simply different views of
> the same fixed-radius surface in Minkowski space: the Beltrami-Klein model
> corresponds to a viewpoint at the origin (central projection) while the
> Poincaré disk model corresponds to a viewpoint one radian further back
> (stereographic projection).

In a sense (for 2D tilings), hyperbolic tilings are the
regular tessellations/polytopes of a Minkowski 2+1 space. E.g. one can
think of the {7,3} living on a constant radius surface in Minkowski space,
just as one can think of the spherical tilings living in Euclidean 3+0
space, and the Euclidean tilings living in Euclidean 2+0 space. (Of
course, one doesn’t have to think of all these objects being embedded in
any of these spaces - they can be looked at just from the "intrinsic
geometry" perspective.)

I purposefully didn’t write Minkowski space*time* above by the way. One
can still think of Minkowski 2+1 space without thinking of time. The
"distance" between points is just calculated in a weird way, with one
component having a negative contribution. This makes me wonder though…
What would a {7,3} tiling look like as an animation, where that special
component was plotted along the time dimensions? Would the regular
heptagons even be recognizable?

Roice