Message #2549

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MT colorings
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:48:21 -0600

Cool, thanks Ed :)

About the {4,4} skew puzzles… They will necessarily have a square number
of colors, so the {4,4|8} should have 64 colors. As you found though,
MagicTile will puke if you go above 56. I picked this number because of
the {3,7}, plus it seemed a reasonably high value. I’ll add a note to the
instruction page that the maximum number of colors possible is 56 at the
moment.

Even though the program stayed stable when you set it to 56, the puzzles
wouldn’t be solvable because of the holes you see. Also, the skew puzzles
are a special thing in that they require extra configuration (Melinda’s IRP
files) to go along with them. I’d only experiment with making new
colorings on the flat puzzles.

I’ll check out your first two this eve and see if I can help figure out the
topologies. And if they work, I’ll add them in!

seeya,
Roice