Message #2541

From: Eduard Baumann <ed.baumann@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] RefleCube: a reflection on the Rubik’s Cube
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:17:52 +0100

Awesome!
Very cool, your RefleCube !
Ed

—– Original Message —–
From: schuma
To: 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 7:40 AM
Subject: [MC4D] RefleCube: a reflection on the Rubik’s Cube

Hi guys,

Recently I made a puzzle simulator called RefleCube:

http://nanma80.github.com/

The idea is, instead of twisting a layer by 90 degrees like on the Rubik’s Cube, we can mirror a layer. For example, the top layer (U) can be mirrored with respect to the plane bisecting the cube into left and right halves. The result of the reflection is swapping UFR with UFL, UBR with UBL, UR with UL.

We can also think of reflecting a layer with respect to a diagonal plane so that UFR<->UBL, UF<->UL, UR<->UB.

I call the first transform "mirror +", and the second transform "mirror X".

You can choose to play a puzzle with only one type of mirroring moves, or both of them (which implies the Rubik’s Cube’s twisting moves).

I also included the common Rubik’s cube and a half-turn cube (only allows 180 degree turns) because they are related.

This puzzle is inspired by Magic Cube 2D (http://www.superliminal.com/cube/mc2d.html) and the discussion about it. I also emulated this puzzle using MC4D and MPUlt before implementing it. You know, we can use 4D rotation to emulate 3D reflection.

I’m not going to tell you what can happen or cannot happen on RefleCube. Find out by yourself!

Nan