Message #2420

From: Eduard Baumann <baumann@mcnet.ch>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Henry Segerman and the 30-cell puzzle
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:30:19 +0200

Marvelous! Thanks for telling.
Ed

—– Original Message —–
From: schuma
To: 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:03 AM
Subject: [MC4D] Henry Segerman and the 30-cell puzzle

A couple of days ago I watched an awesome youtube video by Henry Segerman about the 30-cell puzzle designed by Saul Schleimer and Henry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJwqT_sbB_A

Henry also announced it on the twistypuzzles forum:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=290511

Usually an "n-cell" puzzle lives only in 4D, but this puzzle is 3D printed! It is based on the geometry of the 120-cell (projected into 3D). They picked 30 out of the 120 cells and made an assembly/disassembly puzzle. Please check the video or the pictures in the twistypuzzles page to see the details.

As a result, (for the first time?) you can order a physical 4D puzzle from Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/693743/30-cell-puzzle.html

and play with your 3D hands. Henry also designed many 3D printed sculptures including several 4D regular polytopes.

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/henryseg?s=12

And he said he was working on more puzzles! I bet they are going to be great.

Nan