Message #2399

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: MagicTile Solving: tiny size / big challenge
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:16:38 -0000

Thank you! Main thought - is that colors are not all equivalent (there are two vertical lines with different properties). Problem with this puzzle is that you can’t find two circles with only one common moving element. To solve it I’ve found two circles intersecting by two petals that were 120 deg apart on one circle and in opposite positions on another. Then I’ve tried commutator A^2 B^3 A^(-2) B^3 - and it has worked! 3-cycle, but not very convenient. Nevertheless, I took it, draw schemes for it and some more (mirrored, upside-down, backward). Then the strategy was simple. All petals are grouped in 3 classes - two on "another" vertical, and 6 on each of two circles on "this" vertical (two are on both circles). So first I had to put petals from the first class in place - and forget about them, and then use 3-cycle on one circle to sort petals on another one (and back).
So it’s strange puzzle, but good plan is all you need to fight it :)

Andrey