Message #2340

From: Don Hatch <hatch@plunk.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 05:43:17 -0400

After staring at your picture for a few more minutes,
I’m now pretty sure that the empty spaces
must be a mistake.
Here’s my reasoning…

The center cell has its 4 "feet" in each of
4 different {3,7}’s on the sphere surface.
These 4 {3,7}’s are arranged so that they
are equally spaced on the sphere surface,
in a tetrahedral pattern
(as we see in your picture).

Now imagine the cell we get by reflecting
the center cell about one of its faces.
The "far" foot of this new cell
will be directly opposite a foot of the original cell.
But that’s right in the center of an empty space
in your picture.
So, although I haven’t ruled out empty spaces altogether,
if there *are* empty spaces, I don’t think they can be arranged
like in your picture.

Don

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 05:26:10AM -0400, Don Hatch wrote:

> This looks great! The equator and tetrahedral tiling
> are essential for getting context… I’d be totally lost
> without them.
>
> About the possibility that half of the surface
> doesn’t get filled in…
> I guess that’s possible, but it sure would be a surprise!
> Let me sleep on that one.
>
> I have a different question though…
> When I was describing how I’d draw this thing,
> I thought the little triangles would be
> spherical triangles, that is, bounded by geodesics
> (i.e. arcs of great circles).
> But that’s not true… they are actually
> bounded by non-geodesic circular arcs on the sphere.
> But, I thought, it would be reasonable to
> draw the first picture of it with them approximated
> by geodesics… or even by straight line segments.
> I see you didn’t draw straight line segments,
> but I can’t tell– are you drawing geodesics?
> Or are you drawing the real things?
>
> Don
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 05:43:05PM -0500, Roice Nelson wrote:
> >

> > I made a little progress with this, using info from Don’s email, but
> > working in the plane rather than with the sphere. My best image so far,
> > with 20k tetrahedra (80k triangles), is here:
> > http://www.gravitation3d.com/roice/math/%7B3,3,7%7D_sphere_at_inf.png
> > For reference, the blue circle is the sphere equator, and the green arcs
> > are a tetrahedral tiling on the sphere. (The incircles of that tiling
> > were the 4 starting circles for the previous {3,3,inf} image.)
> > Clearly, much improvement could be made as far as filling things in.
> > However, I still wanted to post because there are some areas which
> > genuinely look like they will NEVER get filled in, no matter how much
> one
> > recursed. These "holes" in the picture seem to be the dual areas of what
> > is getting filled in (notice the 3 holes at the vertices of the
> > tetrahedral tiling). Does this make sense to anyone? I’m wondering if it
> > is possible that reflections of the infinite fundamental tetrahedron
> never
> > reach certain portions of H3. The more likely scenario is that I’m doing
> > something incorrectly :)
> > Roice
> > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Don,
> > I think it’s much more convenient to work not with sphere, but with
> > boundary plane in half-space Poincare model. Every plane in H3 inersects
> > with this plane by circle, and transformations of H3 are equivalent to
> > Moebius transformations of boundary plane. And probably {3,3,8} will
> > give better formulae for coordinates and movements.
> > Andrey
> >
> > — In 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com, Don Hatch <hatch@…> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here’s a more detailed outline of how I’d go about drawing
> > > the intersection of {3,3,7} with the sphere at infinity.
> > > I’ll probably do this in a few days if no one else does it first.

> [...]

Don Hatch
hatch@plunk.org
http://www.plunk.org/~hatch/