Message #2326

From: Don Hatch <hatch@plunk.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 01:18:27 -0400

Hi Roice,

Sorry I forgot to follow up on this message earlier.

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 02:48:31PM -0500, Roice Nelson wrote:

> Hi Don,
> I’m loving this whole thread. Lots of cool ideas being thrown out by you
> and Andrey!
> I really like the fractal image you’re envisioning on the sphere at
> infinity. This past weekend, I was playing with recursive circle
> inversions, and I had no idea it would apply to a discussion like this at
> the time. Here is an image close to the the picture you describe. The
> difference is that each circle in the gasket is filled with a {3,inf}
> rather than a {3,7}.

I’m having trouble getting my email client to see or detach the image you’re
referring to, so I can only imagine it at the moment…

> I’m actually wondering, is the Apollonian gasket the result for {inf,3,3}?
> For {7,3,3}, I’m thinking the initial 4 circles in the circle packing
> would be smaller (not tangent), and would approach the Apollonian as p ->
> inf. In the {inf,3,3} case, the 4 cells that meet at the origin in Nan’s
> applet could represent the 4 initial circles in the gasket. So the cells
> that meet at the origin meet again at the sphere at infinity! (although
> not all at the one location this time) For the {7,3,3}, my intuition says
> the initial 4 cells don’t meet again at the sphere at infinity. I’m
> curious what you think about these speculations.

Hmm. I’m not *positive* that the circles for {7,3,3} meet,
but it seems to be implied by the line of thinking I was following,
starting with the {3,3,7}.
The cells of the {3,3,7} tile all of H3, right?
So they don’t leave any regions of H3 unfilled…
so that makes me think that there’s no open neighborhood on the sphere-at-infinity
that’s left untouched by the cells…
and the intersection of each cell with the sphere-at-infinity
is a spherical triangle…
so these spherical triangles must tile the entire sphere,
7 at each vertex (of this spherical tiling).
So we have 7 spherical triangles at each vertex, covering the whole sphere…
in other words, this tiling on the sphere is (combinatorially) a disjoint union of {3,7}’s,
each one projected onto the sphere… presumably each {3,7} onto
a spherical-disk region of the sphere (I can’t imagine it would be
a different shape).
Since the union of all these spherical-disks cover the sphere,
that means they do kiss…
and if I’m imagining this right, the spherical circles
bounding these spherical disks
would form the intersection of sphere with the dual {7,3,3}.
Does that seem right to you?

And then, it seems to me that the exact same construction
goes through for any {3,3,n}/{n,3,3},
leading to exactly the same Appolonian gasket for each of them…
and so presumably {3,3,inf}/{inf,3,3} would yield the same Appolonian gasket as well
(though I’m having a hard time visualizing
the {3,3,inf} directly).

Don

Don Hatch
hatch@plunk.org