Message #2315

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 06:37:50 -0000

Hi, Don

1) you are right - cutting segments in {3*} may be shorter, or longer, or equal to remaining sides of trilateral. If you build it from {6,4} they will be exactly equal.
BTW, my calculations show that dihedral angle of {3*,3} based on this face is acos(2/3)=48.19 deg - somewhere between 2*pi/8 and 2*pi/7.

2) Yes, take {6,4}, then paint one hexagon, then paint every second its neighbour, and repeat process. You’ll get an example of {3*} this way. And funny thing - if you do it with 3D model of {6,4} based on truncated octahedra honeycomb, you’ll get finite object - eight faces of one cell.

3) In H2 answer is probably yes. And somehow graph of copies of {3*} will be the same regular 3-tree as a graph of hexagons of {3*}. I think that you can fill H3 with copies of {3*,3} (cut form cell of {3,3,n}) without overlapping, but not sure if the way from one copy to each other will take finite number of steps.

And I called this object "fractal" but in reality it’s not - it is regular object that has exactly one scale. We see it as fractal when try to draw it on the Poincare disk, but it’s just a result of our projection.

Andrey