Message #2303

From: Don Hatch <hatch@plunk.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Hyperbolic Honeycomb {7,3,3}
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:51:50 -0400

Oh wait!
I realized I got last part wrong, just after I hit the "send" button :-)

The picture would start with an Apollonian gasket (see wikipedia article)
of circles on the sphere;
this is the intersection of the {7,3,3} with the sphere at infinity.
Then each circle in the gasket is filled with a {3,7},
the final result being the intersection of the {3,3,7} with the sphere
at infinity.
So, it isn’t true that there are isolated cluster points
in the *center* of each circle; the clustering is
towards the *boundary* of each circle. I think I have
a clear picture in my head of what this looks like now.

A cell of the {3,3,7} would touch the sphere
in 4 spherical triangles (its "feet"),
each foot in a different one of four mutually kissing circles
of the gasket, I think.

Don

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 03:29:38PM -0400, Don Hatch wrote:

> Okay I think maybe I follow you now…
> But each face formed by truncation…
> it’s a triangle, not a hexagon, right?
> In fact it’s a spherical triangle, on the sphere at infinity, right?
> All of these spherical triangles, of different apparent sizes,
> would tile the sphere, 7 at each vertex…
> but with some "cluster points" which are the limit points
> of infinitely many of these triangles of decreasing size.
> I’d like to see a picture of this– it shouldn’t be too hard to generate
> (together with the spherical circles
> that are the intersection of the dual {7,3,3} with the sphere
> at infinity, in a different color… I think each cluster point
> would be the center of one of these circles).
>
> Don
>
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:43:52PM -0000, Andrey wrote:
> >

> > Yes, dihedral… I mean angle between hexagonal and triangular faces of
> > truncated tetrahedron. By the selection of truncating planes it will be
> > pi/2. And angles between hexagonal faces are 2*pi/7.
> >
> > Andrey
> >
> > — In 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com, Don Hatch <hatch@…> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Andrey,
> > >
> > > I’m not sure if I’m understanding correctly…
> > > is "behedral angle" the same as "dihedral angle"?
> > > If so, isn’t the dihedral angle going to be 2*pi/7,
> > > since, by definition, 7 tetrahedra surround each edge?
> > >
> > > Don

> > its
> > each
> > the

> [...]