Message #2240

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: color graphs of MagicTiles
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:07:09 -0500

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Melinda Green wrote:

> And Roice, how about a pure edge-turning 8-color {3,5} so that I can
> compare against the similar {8,4}s?

An edge-only puzzle for that tiling turns out to be impossible. To see
why, pull up the FE version and highlight the edge cuts on the cyan face
(or the purple one). Now imagine increasing the size of these cuts. If we
configure an edge-only version, we can’t make the cuts big enough to lead
to non-trivial scrambling without also causing identified cuts to intersect
themselves.

On the positive side, the FE puzzle is quite similar in feel to other
edge-only puzzles, and I bet it could be solved with only [1,1]
commutators. I went ahead and configured similar FE versions for the
{8,4}s, in case that would be helpful for comparisons. These FE puzzles
make me think of bubbles, which might be a nice name for them :)

seeya,
Roice