Message #2236

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: color graphs of MagicTiles
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 16:29:06 -0700

These work. I guess we just need to remember to use the photos folder.
Looking at the graphs the 9-color only looks slightly more complicated
than its sister’s. Is the difference really a proxy for difficulty? If
so, the spherical 8-color FE graph looks complex though Nan solved it in
just 59 twists. Of course we shouldn’t be misled by the shortness of his
solutions, but it suggests that an edge-only version can’t be very hard.
I’m also just comparing against my experience with the {8,4}s and that
is not much of a guide either but for the opposite reason that I’m a
beginner with these puzzles.

Nan & Ed, can we get your opinions on the {8,4}s?

And Roice, how about a pure edge-turning 8-color {3,5} so that I can
compare against the similar {8,4}s?

Oh, and everyone be sure to notice Roice’s new "gliding" setting. It
allows you to "fling" the left-drag rotations of all puzzles. A value of
0 gives the previous behavior in case you don’t like it. A value of 1
rotates forever, and values between the two control the damping speed
which controls how quickly to slow the rotation to zero. Thanks, Roice!

-Melinda