Message #2175

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Making a puzzle based on 11-cell
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:29:29 -0500

This is fantastic Nan!

I really like your design choice for displaying the core colors. It is
especially lovely how clean the pristine state looks.

It looks fair to say this is a "cell turning" 11-Cell. For twisting a
cell, would it be difficult to also include twisting the cell around an
edge? In addition to giving full cell-turning functionality, this would be
helpful to see how the 3C edges connect up.

On the 3^4, you can do 3C/4C twists, then solve them with 2C twists. The
situation here is analogous. You can do a single 6C twist, then solve it
with three 2C twists. It’s a good bite-sized challenge to try! I don’t
know yet if you can do a single 2C, then solve with 6C twists. That will
be a fun question to reason through.

I realize the slicing is abstract (topological vs. geometric). I think
it’d be nice to make the size of the 3C/6C pieces bigger, maybe even
controllable with a slider or something. This would make the puzzle feel a
little more like a classic Rubik’s Cube.

Not a big deal, but I think it’d be better if puzzle reorientations did
not increment the move count.

My brief experience with this makes me wonder about a "vertex turning"
11-cell as well. Overcoming the hurdle of how to make twists on a VT
puzzle seems especially difficult (even more so than it was for the
polychora puzzles).

Great work! It’s awesome to see permutation puzzles enter the domain of
abstract polytopes, and I look forward to studying this more :D

Cheers,
Roice