Message #2160

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Making a puzzle based on 11-cell
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:24:31 -0500

Hi Nan,

I have devoted a little thought to the idea of making puzzles out of the
11-cell and 57-cell, mainly the latter. I also would love to see a
realization of these abstract polytopes as puzzles.

For the 57-cell, it turns out you can consider it derived from the {5,3,5}
hyperbolic honeycomb<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order-5_dodecahedral_honeycomb>with
identification of certain elements (wiki says this anyway). Because
the cells themselves are abstract, it may be more complex than just
identification of cells like in Andrey’s MHT633. But there could be a nice
representation achievable by taking the approach of showing the object
unrolled on the {5,3,5} honeycomb.

As far as showing the object rolled up, my best mental image so far has
been to display an embedding the graph with some kind of coloring attached
to the edges. There would be no solid 3D stickers, just edges with small
ribbons of colors coming off of them (like Sequin’s images of the 11-cell
in the paper you link to). For the 57-cell, each edge would have 5
attached colors. Twisting would break some edges apart and connect them
back together to others at the twist end. If animated, the movements would
involve all kinds of distortions. I hope I’m painting the mental picture
well enough.

Toward that end, I’ve played around with embedding the graph of the 57-cell
in 3D space, in the attempt to find nice ones. Since the object lives
in such a high dimensional space, I’ve had little success. But I can tell
you how to connect up the graph (and can share code on this if anyone was
interested). There is an open
challenge<http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/69180/can-the-57-cell-be-made-in-vzome-without-strut-crossings>on
the
vzome <http://www.vzome.com> group to find a 57-cell skeleton model in zome
using a limited set of directions and without intersection of graph edges.
We don’t know if it is possible, but after my attempts I’m confident saying
it will look pretty ugly if such a model is found! We’ve found many nice
zome embeddings of the hemi-dodec though. And without the restrictions of
zome, there are probably some reasonable looking embeddings that could be
used for a puzzle.

These thoughts can apply to the 11-cell as well. Maybe the icosahedral
honeycomb <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icosahedral_honeycomb> be used with
identification of elements (?) The "graph with small colored ribbons"
approach seems like it would work better in this case because the
graph embedding is less complex.

For the wiki image you link to, if the puzzle representation were based on
this, I think it would be nice if the pristine state showed solid colored
hemi-icosahedra rather than multicolored ones. They look to be trying to
show all the connections between cells in the wiki image, but having them
multi-colored makes it feel like a 2D puzzle, when it is so far from that :)

Although any representation would be an achievement, I’m heavily biased
towards those which are connected myself. Even if connected versions are
messy looking on the screen, I find the dissected variants less elegant.
(With MC5D, I was never willing to approach it by showing the hyperfaces
laid out side by side. I wanted it all connected up.)

Anyway, those are some quick thoughts, but I’m interested to discuss and
spec more on these abstract puzzles!

Cheers,
Roice

P.S. I was able to visit with Carlo a little at the Gathering as well, and
really enjoyed the brief time I got to talk with him. He thinks about
really amazing things, and I just love hearing what he has to say. His
talk was on the 11-cell. Here’s a short
paper<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sequin/PAPERS/2007_SIGGRAPH_57Cell.pdf>
he
wrote on the 57-cell. It’s cool you have access to his office hours.