Message #1988

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Happy New Year!
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 00:00:47 -0800

And now the new year arrives for the US west coast, and what a year it
has been for our 4D puzzling group! We’ve seen so many amazing new
puzzles and solutions it seems impossible to even keep track of such a
wealth of riches. 2011 even saw a couple of higher-dimensional games
added. A quick review of the message archive showed me just how much
amazing stuff has happened. Here is a partial list:

* Packman 5D
* Log file support in MagicTitle
* 5D Pyraminx
* 120 Cell solutions
* YouTube videos
* MagicCube 7D
* Klein’s Quartic solutions & checkerboards
* MagicTile hemi-cube and hemi-dodecahedron
* MagicTile Klein Bottles and other non-orientable puzzles
* MagicTile spherical puzzles
* Android port of MC4D plus a solution
* A blindfolded 2^4 solution
* Goldilock’s function
* 4D Car simulation
* IRPs added to MT plus solutions and a prize
* 4D Simplex, 120, 24, and 48 Cell puzzles added to MPUlt plus solutions
* 600 Cell too but no solutions
* MC5D 7^5 solution
* God’s number for n^3 found; musings on n^3
* MC2D state graph musings
* Omnitrucated simplex solved.
* 4D puzzles added to Gelatinbrain applet
* Hyperburg - a 3D version of Carcassonne

I’ve probably left out a bunch of other interesting topics but just
looking at this list I find it hard to believe that it all happened in a
single year. I can’t even imagine what 2012 will bring us but I expect
it to be at least as amazing as 2010.

I want to thank everyone here. All the puzzle makers, puzzle solvers,
mathematicians, boosters and lurkers. Each one of you is part of an
amazing family and I’m truly grateful for each and every one of you. I
wish you all a happy and puzzling New Year’s!

-Melinda