Message #1984

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Dioctipoid
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:12:59 -0600

I notice in the UK patent application for this puzzle
that the inventor is apparently trying to claim
coverage for an electronic simulation. I have my
doubts about whether that can hold up - since, at the
abstract level, we are just talking about tiles on the
surface of a sphere and permutations of them. (I
grant that there may be patentable matter at the
physical embodiment level for achieving a practical
implementation; but the figures depicting its
construction, which I looked at only briefly, were
hardly surprising.) However, all I can find is the
patent application, so I don’t know if the inventor
prevailed on the simulation aspect. Does anyone have
any insight on this issue?

Regards,
David V.