Message #1978

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: hemi-puzzles!
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 00:47:39 -0600

Here’s a little more on the {3,5} 8-Color. These puzzles with asymmetrical
colorings are strange, but they arise naturally from the math that
identifies cells with each other, so I wanted to understand things a little
better.

To do that, I made a graph of the 4 vertices, 10 edges, and 8 faces all
"rolled up". By that I mean each of these features is only shown once,
rather than shown multiple times (with hand waving that "this face is
identified with that one", as the MagicTile presentation requires). An
image of my graph with default MagicTile colors is
here<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4D_Cubing/photos/album/1694853720/pic/1602345595/view>,
and some observations about it are:

I haven’t tried to make sequences to solve it yet, but will. If anyone
solves this puzzle, I’d love to hear about your experience with it!

Roice