Message #1936

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Omnitrucated simplex solved.
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:48:17 -0600

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just finished solve of the omnitruncated simplex. This object has 10
> truncated octahedra cells, 20 hexagonal prism cells, simplex-like vertex,
> 150 2C pieces, 240 3Cs and 120 4Cs. So it’s not large for the modern
> standarts. But it is one of special uniform polychora:

Nice :D

The fact that the size of some of these polytopes scare me away from
putting the effort into solutions, combined with your comment about solving
the 2C pieces manually made me think of a feature that might be nice for
our programs. I’m thinking of a way to control which type of pieces are
even a part of the puzzle. A 2C-only 3^4 for instance would be a simple
and enjoyable puzzle in and of itself, and one you could tackle in a few
minutes. The MPUlt "simplified" puzzles you made recently go this
direction, but maybe the control over which pieces are pruned could be
further extended.

> And, finally, there is omnitruncated simplex honeycomb! You can fill
> whole 4D space by copies of it, and honeycomb vertex will have simplex
> structure. So, there may be a set of finite periodic patterns and twisting
> puzzles based on it :)

In looking at wiki about this honeycomb, I see the 8-cell, 16-cell, and
24-cell can also honeycomb 4D Euclidean space. When it comes to puzzles,
these are really more like 5D puzzles to us, being tessellations of 4D
cells. So very difficult! No one has solved any of the MS5D puzzles yet,
correct?

Roice