Message #1776

From: Nan Ma <mananself@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Ranking list for the 120-Cell
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:29:26 -0700

Hi Matt,

You have an interesting point. For a fully scrambled 120 cell, your program
will give a non zero percentage, because the colors of some stickers are
correct by chance. A very coarse computation (incorrectly assuming
statistical independence across different stickers) is that the 1/120 ~ 0.8%
of the stickers are correct by chance. So 0.8% is the "background noise". If
we subtract it from 1.1%, we get 0.3%, which is Ed’s original estimate. I
think Ed’s estimate was very accurate.

Nan

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Matthew Galla <mgalla@trinity.edu> wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I ran your log file through my program and these are the results:
> 2-Color pieces solved: 14 / 720
> 3-Color pieces solved: 8 / 1200
> 4-Color pieces solved: 6 / 600
> Total solved: 1.111 %
>
> The way this works is it counts the number of 2C stickers that are correct
> and divides by 2 (throwing away the remainder) to estimate the number of 2C
> pieces solved. It repeats for 3C and 4C, dividing by 3 and 4 respectfully to
> get the above estimations. Now it is possible that a couple of pieces happen
> to have one or two stickers correct, even though the pieces themselves are
> not in the right spots, and there is no detection for this case, so the
> numbers that appear above should be considered overestimates and the actual
> numbers may be slightly less than above, but certainly not bigger.
>
> It looks like you can claim a little more is done that you originally said!
> ;)
> Then again, maybe this isn’t accurate enough to claim much at all. What can
> be said is my program is more accurate the colser to solved you are, so it
> is best used for those cases. Anyways enjoy.
>
> If anyone else would like me to run their log file through the program,
> just let me know. Sorry Nan, but you are right, my program only works for
> the Magic120Cell program’s log files for now. :/
>
> -Matt Galla
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Eduard Baumann <baumann@mcnet.ch> wrote:
>

>> [Attachment(s)<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#1307b268fa4602b2_TopText>from Eduard Baumann included below]
>>

>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> Here is my 120cell_partial_solve log file for evaluation.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Ed

>>> 2. Matt Galla 100%
>>> 3. Adam Ford 100%