Message #1480

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Twists description
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 05:28:35 -0000

Hi Andy,
"Movements:" give us description of the symmetry group of the puzzle body. Vectors from this set define reflections around their orthogonal hyperplanes. Movements are used to define the set of axes and their order, but vectors fr0om this set don’t have to be vectors of multi-axes, or moving planes or so on (but usually they are).
"Vector:" is a part of description of the cutting hyperplane. It is orthogonal to a set of parallel hyperplanes, and it always belongs to multi-axes of all twists of all layers cutting by these hyperplanes.
"Planes:" it’s desription of moving planes of the layer orthogonal to "Vector". Each moving plane is defined by a pair of vectors. Both of them are perpendicular to "Vector". Angle between vectors is a half of the minimal twist angle (so we are able to define 180-deg twists by selecting of two perpendicular vectors).
"Cuts:" distances from the center to cutting hyperplanes (in the direction of "Vector"). For the symmetrical bodies set of distances is usually symmetrical, but for simplex and some other bodies like (4,5)-duoprisms positive and negative directions of the axis are different.
And yes, multi-axis is (D-2)-dimensional space.

Andrey