Message #1369

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MS5D v0.1
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:13:02 -0600

Hi Andrey,

Left-shift dragging in MC4D is also a moving 4D camera going around a
stationary point of view (the origin). Dragging left/right rotates around
the XW plane, and dragging up/down rotates around the YW plane, as MS5D
does. To show that you can use it to look at a 4D object from a different
side, all you need to do is look at the cell projected small in the 3^4
puzzle, then left-shift drag until its antipodal cell comes into view.

I think I better understand the difference now. My confusion was a
combination of the direction the camera is rotated (yours looks to be in an
opposite sense), the drag sensitivity, and the fact that we’re now looking
at a 5D object (leading to the 5D->4D projected object covering more swaths
of 4D ground). I like the MC4D settings we chose because the direction and
sensitivity make it feel like you are grabbing material to move it. But I
like the choices you’ve made for MS5D too. It would be nice to have
functionality to center a cell, for when I seem to get the view all messed
up.

To get some seriously trippy "necker<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necker_cube>"
effects, start a 3D drag then play with pressing shift while still dragging
to switch between 3D and 4D drags. Sometimes, the cell which looks like it
is right in front of you will appear to jump to the very back! (or
vice versa)

seeya,
Roice