Message #1216

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MHT633 v0.1 uploaded
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:49:47 -0700

Andrey,

This is quite amazing, of course. I’m starting to get used to regular
miracles from you. :-)

It doesn’t look so large to imagine that someone wouldn’t solve it
fairly soon after it is feature-complete and debugged. Or maybe I’m just
just not seeing much of it? How many unique faces does it have?

For those who are reluctant to download and run it, I’ve uploaded a
couple of screen-shots to the MC4D image gallery
<http://wiki.superliminal.com/wiki/Image_gallery#MagicCube4D_Image_Gallery>.
The last image is very cool. I find it slightly frustrating that I can’t
rotate the 3D view to see the faces on the other side of the {6,3}
tiling. Implementing sticker-shrink would definitely help.

Here are my UI suggestions:

&#42; Make the normal left drag perform simple 3D rotation of the<br>
  projection.<br>
&#42; Make shift-left drag do the 4D rotation that you currently do with<br>
  normal left drag.<br>
&#42; Make alt-left drag do the panning that you currently do with<br>
  shift-left drag.

The first two changes would maintain compatibility with the MC4D UI.
MC4D has no equivalent to your panning.

Like Roice, I would like to see an autorotation option. I don’t think it
would be terribly useful but it would definitely look cool.

Great stuff, Andrey! I strongly encourage everyone to check it out.

-Melinda