Message #1049

From: Andrew James Gould <agould@uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: definition of a twist
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:06:18 -0500

Just my first thought, but I’d be with Matt on counting 180 degree twists as one twist–it’s what I do on a 3D cube. The 37 twist example you mentioned, Melina, I’d also count as 1.

Matt,
I play enough video games to keep the visual part of my brain in shape to answer this. One way a 4D person could do the A1 twist is to put his right hand on the 3 brown stickers and the 3 opposing green stickers that will move, and his left hand on the 24 brown stickers and the 24 opposing green stickers that don’t move. He can then twist. Anything you can do to a 3^3 Magic cube, a 4D person could do to the -t face of the 3^4 Magic Cube. That includes all x-y, x-z, and y-z twists, and he would never have to touch the stickers on the -t face to do those twists.

Note: of those 54 green and brown stickers, he wouldn’t just be touching the surfaces that we see in MC4D, he’d be touching every molecule inside. (Here, I use the ‘going from 2D to 3D’ analogy to explain going from 3D to 4D.) If you’re a stick figure in 2D, you can’t get inside a solid 2D square sticker to cover the whole thing without a 3rd dimension. But on a 3^3 Magic cube in 3D with its 9 yellow stickers at z = 1.5, placing your hand on top of the 9 yellow stickers is like placing your hand at z = 1.50001 at the same x & y coordinates of the cube–touching all the yellow stickers on their +z side. Similarly in 3D, you can’t get inside a solid 3D cube sticker to "cover" the whole thing in 3D. But on a 3^4 Magic Cube in 4D with its 27 blue-gray stickers located at t = -1.5 in an (x,y,z,t) coordinate system, he could "cover" all molecules of those stickers by placing his 4D hand at t = -1.50001 at the same x, y, & z coordinates of the tesseract. His hand is therefore touching all the blue-gray stickers everywhere on their -t side. Now THAT’s what I call…an up-grayed.

Andy