Message #874

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] (unknown)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 04:25:19 -0000

Melinda,
Implementation of 3^4 at 1987 I wrote myself, in C, and it was never exported from PDP (there was even no such thing as a diskette on that machine). And I didn’t print source code (didn’t see any reason for that). So program was written, puzzle solved and forgotten for decades.
As for 4D tetris, pieces don’t fall down there at all. May be once I’ve completed 10 layers in 3x3x3-pentablock game and 1 or 2 layers in 4x4x4-hexablock. Didn’t try to play in it seriously.
In the early 1990s there was 3D tetris game on PC (called "Blockout": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockout ). I remember we played it a lot that time, and may be that was a game that inspired my 4D tetris attempt.
Later I tried to write some more 3D and 4D games (like labirynths in non-eucldiean fields), but I don’t like graphic programming (and GUI design), so there was no finished program in that direction :(

Andrey