Message #845

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Introducing "MagicTile"
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:19:13 -0600

What an great flow of ideas. I love it!

About solving towards a single cell, I think the program can help answer
this by using the setting to only show the fundamental set of tiles. I’m
not perfectly confident, but my intuition says it is possible to avoid
multiple disjoint unsolved cells at the end. My reasoning is that even if
the topology of the object as a whole (fundamental and orbit regions glued
up) is not simply connected, the fundamental region alone is simply
connected (as long as you never leave the boundary of it, so that it behaves
topologically as a disk). Looking at only the fundamental set of Klein’s
Quartic, it is easy to pick a solve order leaving only one cell at the end,
by using sort of a "solve wave" to push unsolved cells from one end to the
other. This would be my strategy to "keep the edge a simple closed curve",
as Melinda nicely described things.

If I require that I solve cells in a connected fashion, where each cell
solved must be adjacent to the prior one, it appears I lose the ability to
end on a single cell. As an aside, I wonder if it is possible to have
fundamental sets of tiles which are not simply connected, which could
invalidate my logic above.

Anyway, you’ve all convince me that it is the topology that is important
factor in all this (though it still seems the symmetries and topology are
intertwined). After taking another look at the 12-colored octagonal, also
genus 3, I see it actually does behave the same.

Regarding which puzzle(s) may be "just right", I’ve only done a few so far,
but last night I did go through a solve of the 9-colored torus puzzle and
can say I found it really enjoyable - perfect for a solve in one sitting for
sure. And the repeating units caught me a couple times, which was fun. It
may be inevitable that the 3x3x3 will always be the most perfect puzzle in
my mind though :)

One small comment related to difficulty… The state-space of the
3-coloreds is small enough that they will often solve themselves if I just
randomly click.

Yesterday, I learned about some additional coloring possibilities on the
hexagonal puzzles which I think will be good, balanced puzzles when it comes
to the tradeoffs being discussed, e.g. a 7-colored (This was pointed out to
me by someone from the twistypuzzles forums). Applying the tiling algorithm
which produces those to the hyperbolic puzzles will probably allow some
further balanced variants there as well. The 6-12 color range feels nice to
me, both in terms of coupling and tedium.

Btw, a while back I realized repeating units can be applied to spherical
puzzles too, which will end up throwing even a few more into the mix. A
Megaminx with a 6-colored fundamental region and opposite sides being orbits
would topologically act as the
non-orientable<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientable> real
projective plane <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_projective_plane> (I
verified by playing with color settings). Due to the non-orientability of
that surface, orbits would rotate in an opposite sense to the fundamental
cells! One could do a non-orientable hexagonal version as well,
topologically a Klein bottle <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle>. I
definitely want to support these variants at some point, which will only
involve minor code changes to deal with reversing the twisting.

Re: Alexander… I bet doing a ctrl+click view rotation without animation
wouldn’t be too bad, and something like that could likely be the first pass.
Also, I’ve been doing the same head twisting and so am sharing the desire
for rotation control of the projected puzzles too, which will be trivial to
add. And load/save is at the top of the list. I hope to address the
majority of the requests I’ve received so far, though I expect it will be at
least a month before I’ll be able to provide any updates.
Regarding publicizing, I have been sending out an email or two each evening
to try to get the word out. Mathpuzzle <http://www.mathpuzzle.com/> gave
MagicTile a really nice shout out this morning. I want to do a blog post
too (both about MC4D and this), though that will probably just get the word
out to my mom and siblings :)

Re: Chris… so sorry about the loss of work :( I will definitely switch
this resetting behavior. It caught me the other night too, at which point I
noted the poor behavior in my list. I was lucky enough to not be half way
into a large puzzle. Also, on the 4D front, I do think it’d be cool to have
stereographically projected versions of the puzzles in MC4D. I even opened an
issue for it<http://code.google.com/p/magiccube4d/issues/detail?id=14&q=stereographic>a
while back :D

Have a good night all,
Roice

P.S. I did move the donate button up (thanks for the suggestion on that
too, Chris and Alexander)