Message #847

From: alexander.sage@jacks.sdstate.edu
Subject: Other platonic polychora puzzles.
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:06:13 -0600

We all know that MC4D is a completely awesome program. When it first introduced shapes that were not hypercubes, it became all the awesomer. It also made me hungry for more.

I apologize if this has already been discussed a few times, but I would like to ask about the 16 and 24 cell shapes. I was playing with the puzzle inventor, and I was dissapointed that they were not appearing when I typed their symbols in. Is it because there is no obvious way to slice such shapes into puzzles, or is it just that the program does not support four cells per edge for some reason? It seems like these puzzles would be fairly new experiences, as I can’t really think of any simple analog of either. Sounds fun.

P.S. Has anyone ever seen any kind of octahedron twisty puzzle? I’ve never heard of one, but it sounds awesome. (maybe magictile could support one?)