Message #840

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Introducing "MagicTile"
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:03:53 -0600

I found the "two bottoms" observation extremely interesting :D I tried to
figure out the why of this last night by rereading John Baez’s
article<http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/klein.html>on Klein’s Quartic,
but didn’t have much luck finding the insight I was
looking for (though the two cells in the last layer is mentioned there, and
the article is full of other neat information). It felt like the behavior
should be related to the topology and the fact that a 3-holed-torus (genus
3, which is the topology of the puzzle) is not simply
connected<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simply_connected>.
But the 12-colored octagonal puzzle is also genus 3, and it doesn’t behave
the same.

I found some more info this evening, and it turns out there is an entire
book on Klein’s Quartic! Amazon has
it<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521004195?ie=UTF8&tag=gravit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0521004195>,
but you can download a free version
online<http://www.msri.org/publications/books/Book35/>(however, the
pictures seem to be missing). In the first section by
Thurston, he notes "The infinite hyperbolic honeycomb is divided into 3
kinds of groups of 8 cells each, where each group is composed of a heptagon
together with its 7 neighbors.". Together, these groups account for the 24
cells, and after labeling the 3 groups red/green/white, he writes:

> It is interesting to watch what happens when you rotate the pattern by a
> 1/7 revolution about the central tile: red groups go to red groups, green
> groups go to green groups and white groups go to white groups. The person in
> the center of a green group rotates by 2/7 revolution, and the person in the
> center of a red group rotates by 4/7 revolution. The interpretation on the
> surface is that the 24 cells are grouped into 8 affinity groups of 3 each.
> The symmetries of the surface always take affinity groups to affinity
> groups. This is analogous to the dodecahedron, whose twelve pentagonal faces
> are divided into 6 affinity groups of 2 each, consisting of pairs of
> opposite faces.

So I think it has more to do with the symmetries of the object than the
topology (though perhaps there is some interrelation). I think what Nelson
found was one of these 8 affinity groups. Btw, by editing colors, you
should be able to use the program to more easily see the reg/green/white
groups described above - I’ll have to try this.

Also, I did note to myself last night that it is possible to solve the {7,3}
cells in an order such that you’d be left with one cell at the end instead
of two, but you wouldn’t be working "layer-by-layer" in that case.

Very cool discovery of this unusual behavior Nelson!

Roice