Message #838

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Introducing "MagicTile"
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:26:28 -0600

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for all the great feedback as usual! These suggestions will all
really help the polish, and most should be easy to knock out (though I was
thinking to take at least a couple weeks rest from coding first). It’s
funny, the solve beep was definitely annoying me, yet I never considered to
do anything about it.

I’ve responded offline to some, but a public thanks to the others who have
been giving feedback and support as well! I always appreciate the positive

I’m a bit bummed about how impossible the hyperbolic panning feels at this
point. I had significant drawing performance issues on the infinite
tilings, and the way I got around it was with OpenGL rendering caching
(display lists). When a twist happens, that caching is invalidated for only
the affected stickers. This is why performance on the puzzles with fewer
colors is poorer, since a twist invalidates more and requires more to be
drawn without the cache. Perhaps what could be done is to only show cell
outlines during a pan. Another thought I had was to try to use texture maps
(create needed textures of the current state on the fly to then use for the
panning), though that sounds quite involved. The hyperbolic panning and
drawing for the hyperbolic games at geometrygames.org are ultra smooth, and
I can tell they are using textures. Anyway, I’m worried I’ve gone too far
down the wrong path to handle this fundamental feature well, which is
disappointing. There’s another hurdle as well I won’t bother going into,
but maybe some good solutions will present themselves.

On the plus side, it seems the {3,7} and other puzzles without simplex
vertex figures likely won’t require a great deal of work. After Alexander’s
suggestion of the {4,4} and {3,6}, I made a one line change to quickly look
at the possibility of those, and while there were plenty of problems, I was
surprised how well it went without any real effort… only a partial
explosion :)

Also, I’m not sure, but I wonder if the "Klein’s Quartic" puzzle is the dual
{7,3} you are looking for? As far as I know, the only way to fit together a
repeating set of heptagons is with 1 or 24 in the set, and Klein’s Quartic
does have 56 vertices (corresponding to the number of triangles at the link
you sent). Or maybe you are looking for a Euclidean {7,3} "infinite regular
polyhedron", though I have no idea if such a thing is even possible. (?)

Lastly, I’m curious more about your twisting problems on the complex
puzzles. It is only the clicked face that matters (and faces are currently
demarked by yellow lines, though I’d like to make that configurable). The
particular stickers clicked don’t matter, and slices are controlled with
number keys. Sorry I didn’t follow that particular comment better.

Hope all is well!
Roice