Message #834

From: alexander.sage@jacks.sdstate.edu
Subject: RE: [MC4D] Introducing "MagicTile"
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 02:35:20 -0600

I love the idea of this program. My roommate’s girlfriend gave me a pretty funny laugh when I told her that I had finally found a non-euclidian rubik’s puzzle applet. I’d never thought of a hex-tiling twisty puzzle before, and I like the idea a lot. I had a lot of fun playing with it and the hyperbolic puzzles. once again, nice idea.

The program is, of course, new. It desperately needs a way to fix orientations for all of the tilings, and that would be nice to have on the spherical puzzles too. I would also like to see more visibility options than just "performance" and "originals". It would be nice to have a slider that determines how far from the original side other sides could be seen, somewhat like the magic 120 cell puzzle.

I would like to see more kinds of puzzle, specifically the flat square and triangle tilings. depth-2 puzzles would also be nice.

In the more long term, a symbol reader (like "invent your own!" in MC4D) to make any possible puzzle would be pretty awesome, but I know that probably won’t happen very soon.

Good job in making this program, it’s really well written so far, and I haven’t found any real bugs with it yet.