Message #822

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: commercializing cubing
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:18:19 -0600

Hi all,

Here’s a non-technical question I’d be curious for any and all to weigh in
on. I’m on the cusp of releasing another (beta) Rubik analogue program I’ve
worked on a bit over the past half year, and was planning to post it free
as I’ve done with other hobby projects. Then this blog
post<http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2010/01/22/make-something-and-sell-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+TheEndeavour+%2528The+Endeavour%2529>shows
up in my reader today describing "the radical idea that you should
sell what you make." I’m curious what others think of this. Is it
unrealistic to expect people to pay, say $5, for a Rubik like program?
Would doing something like that injure the commercial-free spirit of
communities like this? Is the Rubik software market simply supersaturated
with freeware, such that it’d be hopeless to try to charge anything for yet
another Rubik program? (I tend to suspect the answer to the last is yes.)

These projects are an incredible amount of fun, but an equally incredible
amount of work. I happily pay for physical puzzles on a regular basis, but
have always downplayed the monetary value of the software versions. How
come? I don’t think I’ve had any fundamental reversal in my plans or
anything, but the blog entry at least made me want to post this.

I’d love to hear your thoughts,

Roice