Message #763

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MC4D 4.0 is really fantastic!
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:36:45 -0800

Wow, thanks for entrusting me with this task!  Now I actually feel like I will be contributing to the program itself! :)  By the way, I (believe I) was able to resolve one of the issues with the program (although a trivial one).  I am very happy to be of as much help as I can.

About the Goldilocks function, this doesn’t seem to be too difficult and I believe I will be able to produce numbers that are neither too large nor too small, and without too much computation.  My basic idea is to approximate the number of positions of each puzzle.  Of course, finding the actual number of positions would involve using my formulas, and we all know how complex those can get. ;)  To get the approximation, I will simply calculate the total number of configurations (i.e. all positions, regardless of whether they can be reached or not.)  Then I would find the number of face turns necessary to reach that number of positions.  I don’t believe we need to worry that the estimate of the number of positions is always larger than the actual value, as making face turns in succession produces numbers of possibilities which grow exponentially.  The only difficulty will be to find the general formula for any possible puzzle, including user-created
ones.  It would be helpful if you have a list of all of the possible schlafli symbol configurations that the program accepts, as I have not been able to find a complete list offhand, only a list of the regular polychora.  If not, I will be able to figure it out. :)

Thanks again!  I will start working on this and the piece-counting formulas tomorrow.

Take care,
David