Message #752

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Chronicles of a Rubik junkie’s experience with the {5}x{5}
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:05:28 -0600

My thanks to Chris for the cool insights about the duoprisms! And thanks to
Melinda for the picture, dramatically showing the way stickers are slaved to
their respective tori. I hadn’t mentally put some of this together as
cleanly as in these emails, even after solving the {5}x{5}-3. Great stuff
:D

One thing that was neat for me was to think about while reading was how the
{4}x{4} fit into it all. Since it has only one type of 2C piece, there
seems to be a succession of symmetry breaking that happens with the
progression of puzzles - {4}x{4} is more symmetrical than general {n}x{n},
which in turn is more symmetrical than general {n}x{m}.

In some ways, it’s hard to say which puzzles are more difficult. The
{4}x{4} might take less sequences, but it’s stickers can move amongst both
tori, so the scrambling result is more complicated (it wouldn’t produce a
neat picture of dual tori like the {6}x{6} did for Melinda). But even if
there is somewhat of a conservation-of-difficulty effect with the tradeoff
between number of piece types and scrambling capacity, I guess it still
feels like difficulty rises more quickly as the duoprisms become more
general. Chris could say better of course.

As an aside: the {3}x{3} (which we aren’t officially supporting yet because
we’re still considering how the twisting works on it) also only has 1 type
of 2C piece, but it is degenerate when it comes to 2C pieces around the
"rings". And so unlike the flexible {4}x{4}, it’s pieces are again slaved
to their respective tori. I always knew the 4^3 was special :)

Chris, congrats to you as well on all the firsts your snagging :) And much
thanks for all the issue updates and feedback along the way!

All the best,
Roice

P.S. I agree with Melinda about the {5}x{5}-5 being a big prize. Not sure
I’ll ever tackle it, but that had been my favorite from very early on.