Message #746

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Chronicles of a Rubik junkie’s experience with the {5}x{5}
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:11:04 -0500

Because I like responding to myself…

As an aside, it seemed I hit every possible parity problem along the way,
> and it made me wonder if the statistical chances of this were higher than on
> the 4^4. I also wonder if parity problems are more prevalent on odd uniform
> duoprisms. The "{4}x{4} 3", aka the 4^3, certainly doesn’t do these kinds
> of things. Would a {6}x{6}?

I wanted to be a little more clear on this. The issues I ran into with the
3C and 4C pieces did not require undoing previous work (I could find
sequences to solve the pieces). So I am perhaps using the term "parity
problem" too loosely, but what I meant is that when 2 or 3 pieces were left,
their positions/orientations were in states that were very strange looking
compared to the 4^3.

On the 2C pieces, I think you can get yourself into more a genuine "parity
problem" if you don’t solve the 2C pieces along the rings first. And by
this I mean, you’d have to undo previous work to fix the issue…

All the best,
Roice