Message #583

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Permutation formula updates
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:50:40 -0700

Hi Thibaut,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!  I put a lot of thought into what
you recommended to me about the formulas, but I have decided to keep them the
same.  While I value your opinion, and almost did decide to modify the formulas,
I think that it is more concise and elegant to represent the answers with only one
formula.  While simplicity can be elegant, to me the formula is already so
(although this is of course my biased opinion as its discoverer).  I actually
never seperated the formulas into even/odd cases, and while many may not,
I like the use of the "n mod 2" terms and how I applied them.  If anyone on the
group is interested in a basic explanation as to the derivation of these formulas,
I would be glad to email them one.  I’m looking forward to using more advanced
reasoning for proving these formulas exact, and for trying my hand at the n^5
and n^d cases.  I’ll let the group know when I get the super-supercube formula.

All the Best,
David