Message #553

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MC2D. Was: Something interesting and strange about permutations
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:46:12 -0700

David,

Do attachments work in Yahoo group messages now? I don’t remember but
I’m going to try to attach a version of my graph that I just made which
should clarify what I’m trying to say about states. It uses the same
layout as my ASCII graph but includes small pictures of each state. The
lines indicate the simple edge twists. The dotted lines between
horizontally adjacent states in the original version indicated states
that could be reached via a single middle slice twist if the applet
supported that. It is easy to see that in the first row. It takes a
little more work to see that in the other rows because you need to
figure out whether it requires the horizontal or vertical middle slice
and then account for positional and color symmetries. What I mean by
color symmetry is that you should be able to rename any of the colors at
any time without changing the state. It’s all about the particular
patterns of each state that matter and there appear to be exactly 8
unique ones.

We can call this the graph-theoretic approach as opposed to your
group-theoretic approach. Perhaps one can arrive at some of the same
conclusions either way such as that the diameter of the graph is 4
(because it takes a minimum of 4 twists to solve the puzzle starting
from the checkerboard state #2). Both approaches are probably useful for
different purposes. The thing I like best about the graph is that it
makes you wonder which features of it should carry over to the larger
puzzles and what the implications of those features would be if they
could be proved. For example, might all such twisty puzzles contain
something like state #5 that acts like a sort of nexus? I would really
love to see equivalent state diagrams for other, slightly larger puzzles
such as the 3x4 and 4x4. In 3D, the Pyraminx and the 2^3 might be good
"medium" sized candidates but would certainly require computer-assisted
graph layout tools to diagram well.

-Melinda