Message #482

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Introduction to the 4D_Cubing Group
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:15:56 -0500

Hi David,

Very nice to make your acquaintance, and welcome! I’m sure others will have
more to say, but I thought I’d point you to two resources on the mathematics
I’ve seen in the mean time. The first (because it is shorter) is a paper
Melinda pointed me to because it had the calculation for the number of
permutations of the 3^5. It is titled "The Rubik Tesseract" and you can
find it here:

http://udel.edu/~tomkeane/RubikTesseract.pdf

Secondly, there is a book by David Joyner called "Adventures in Group
Theory". It is a course on group theory focused around the 3D Rubik’s
cube. Though it doesn’t discuss the higher-d puzzles, it could be a useful
source for extending the relevant mathematical skills.

I’ll look forward to hearing about your investigations. As someone else who
finds this very interesting but lacks related formal mathematical training,
I’ve always felt lacking in the group theory aspects of these puzzles…

All the best,

Roice