Message #453

From: Jenelle Levenstein <jenelle.levenstein@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Noel conquers the 4^5!
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:08:59 -0500

I have found by teaching other people to solve the 3x3x3 rubix cube that the
hardest part of solving it is to figure out how the puzzle moves in 3
dimensions. I think this may be because they have trouble seeing the puzzle
in 3 dimensions. They see 54 individual stickers instead of seeing the 26
peices. You can tell this because someone new to the cube will pick one
color and try to get as many of that color on one side as possible, without
regard to what pieces get knocked out. Now it may sound odd that we have
trouble thinking 3 dimensionally even though we live in a 3D world, but
there are a lot of 2 dimensional things in our world. This Computer screen
is 2D The layout of our streets is 2D. Even the buildings we live although
they are 3D simply consist of a bunch of 2D floors stacked on top of each
other. It would be interesting to see whether a society run by monkeys would
be better at solving these insane puzzles than we are since they have more
spacial minds.

Wait I had a point. Whether a four dimensional creature would be able to
intuitively understand a 3x3x3x3 would depend on how they thought and what
there world looked like which is something we have no way of even imagining.
My guess is that they would have to figure it out just like we did, but it
would be easier because they could hold the thing in their hands and see it
form all angles.