Message #360

From: Roice Nelson <roice@gravitation3d.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] More ideas
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:58:08 -0600

I’ve seen a really well-designed interface that these feature requests
remind me of in a polytope visualizer called Jenn.

http://www.math.cmu.edu/~fho/jenn/index.html

It easily allows spinning the rotation in any of the six degrees of freedom
of a 4D rotation. You can make it so the spinning stays constant or
gradually slows down. The best part is the simplicity with which you
control the rotations, which requires only a 3-button mouse. It might be
something to check out for anyone looking into implementing spinning-type
features involving all the dimensions. I too have thought it would be cool
to remove the constraint that the 4D rotations were all 90 degrees, though I
could see myself wanting to keep that restriction when working on solutions.

(aside for Melinda: There is a version of that Jenn program that will turn
the vertices of any Coxeter polytope into a Go board. I thought this was so
cool, as you can do things like play Go on an edgeless toroidal board,
creating all kinds of havoc in many of the traditional strategies.)

Take Care all,

Roice