Message #354

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] macro bug & Shortest contest II
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:23:43 -0800

Hello Remi,

I care very much about the correctness of the macros. I don’t think that
I understand everything that you are saying but here is what I have
seen: Sometimes when I attempt to apply a macro to the 2^4 it applies in
the wrong direction. I haven’t seen the problem described where it can
apply to an incorrect part of the puzzle. It always operates on the
right face, just in the wrong direction. I don’t see any change in
behavior that depends on saving and restarting. I’ve asked Don to look
into the problem that I do see. If you can show us any other problems,
please do. Until then you might be able to undo macro uses that work in
the wrong direction and then try them again in the reversed direction.
Please let me know if that works for you. I know that is not a
satisfying solution but perhaps it will help you until we find and fix
the real problem.

Regarding the superduperflip pattern, it only involves the 2-color
pieces but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no tricky solution.
Luckily because we now have Don’s real solve feature, we know that it is
solvable, so the only question is just how short a solution can be found.

-Melinda