Message #254

From: Roice Nelson <roice@gravitation3d.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Hall Instanity here I come ;-)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:56:19 -0500

Congratulations Remigiusz!

With your solution, I started the MC5D Hall of Insanity and posted your log
file there :)

I don’t know how well it bodes for MC5D that we both finished with the same
reaction. "I’m so tired… and happy it’s over ;-)" Maybe it would be more
fun to do over a period of time vs. pushing through with late night
twisting. I think the number of pieces wears on you though. To drive you
more mad, I’ll probably have the 2^5 through 5^5 versions ready for you guys
soon. Getting those working isn’t turning out to be as bad as I thought.

I was just about at the same number of twists as you after finishing the 4C
pieces, so it does look like the corners got you. 5C pieces not only
have 60 possible orientation permutations once placed (5P3), but after they
are placed, it is not as easy to reorient them as lower colored pieces
because of the dimension constraints. A first step for me was recognizing
that for a 5C piece in a given location, reorienting preliminary moves would
would have to cycle 3 colors at a minimum. This is similar to corners on
the 4D and 3D cubes, but it still wasn’t directly obvious at first to me (the
4C pieces spoiled me because I could do preliminary moves to flip just 2
colors). After realizing that, I could reduce that large number of
orientation possibilities to something more manageable. With a piece of
interest having colors labeled 1 to 5, my approach to solve the corner was
this…

(1) Preliminary moves to position the piece such that the first color was
also in it’s correct placement.
(2) Use a "cycle" macro to reorient the remaining 4 colors. Most of the
time this could be done with 1 macro since a second color was often already
placed correctly, but occasionally I had to use 2 macros. In most cases
though, the choice here was between 1 of 8 macros (there are 4 but each can
also be run in reverse by ctrl-double-clicking).
(3) Do the 5-colored sequence.
(4) Apply the macro(s) in reverse.
(5) Undo the preliminaries.

That’s not the best explanation without the puzzle to show, but hopefully it
is clear enough.

Congrats again,

Roice