Message #206

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Saying hello
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:15:15 -0700

I’m so glad to learn that we already have a female solver!! Would you
care to tell us your feelings both about your interest in the 4D cube
and also why you think women are so rare in these circles?

Having spent the 1st part of my life as a boy I have an intresting
perspective on the problem though I don’t have an answer. I’m sure that
parental praise/pressure is an important factor, I know that as a boy I
was naturally attracted to mathematical puzzles. With respect to Guy
Padyfield, I suspect that it may indeed have something to do with
ambituity but I suspect that he may have it backwards. I was attracted
to these sorts of puzzles because of their elegance and simplicity of
domain. I liked that threre was exactly one answer and that it didn’t
involve all the messiness that seemed to constitute the rest of life. So
in my case puzzles were a shelter from ambiguity. Since transitioning I
find that while I am still interested in these sorts of things I am
suddenly much more interested in the messy social things where the
problems and solutions are not at all clear. I now enjoy swimming in
ambiguity!

-Melinda