Message #135

From: Nathanael Berglund <berglund@math.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] "Physical models" of Rubik’s Cube (tesseract, hypercube, etc.)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:46:47 -0400

It’s fun to see some mathematics happening in this forum. Although
actually solving a Rubik’s Hypercube is certainly interesting, the mere
fact that we’re trying to generalize Rubik’s Cube into higher dimensions
suggests we have some interest in the mathematics of it.

I realize I should have been more explicit when I said "orthogonal
inertial rotations", since the rotations David gave are orthogonal in
the sense that their axes are orthogonal, and certainly they don’t
commute. Here’s what I mean by "orthogonal inertial rotations":
Let p1 and p2 be any two orthonormal vectors. Let P denote the
orthogonal projection onto the subspace spanned by p1 and p2 and Q
denote (I - P) (i.e. the projection onto the orthogonal complement of
this space). Let R denote any 2-dimensional rotation defined over (and
staying within) span{p1, p2}. Then R represents an inertial rotation on
the entire ambient space defined by PR + Q. Conversely, if one is given
a rotation K and there exist p1, p2, and R such that K = PR+Q (P and Q
as defined by p1,p2), then we call K an "inertial rotation". Let
"plane(K)" denote span{p1, p2}.
By "orthogonal inertial rotations" K1, K2, … , Kn I mean to say
inertial rotations for which plane(K1), plane(K2), … , plane(Kn) are
all mutually orthogonal as subspaces. Note that at least 4 dimensions
are required in order to have orthogonal inertial rotations. The fact
that these commute is not hard to see (simply construct an orthonormal
basis from the basis vectors for plane(K1), plane(K2), … , plane(Kn),
and whatever additional vectors are required, and express the inertial
rotations in this basis.) The fact that any rotation can be decomposed
into these "orthogonal inertial rotations" is based on the Shur
Decomposition. I have a proof of it in case anyone would like to see it.

The question that I have then becomes "What is the set of inertial
rotations I get when I decompose each of the 192 rotations of the
hypercube?", and more importantly "Are these inertial rotations a subset
of the original 192?" Allowing a rotation which doesn’t put the
hypercube back in it’s place would be bad. If the answer to the second
question is ‘yes’, then since any sequence of orthogonal inertial
rotations would be "conceptually independent" to the user there is no
need to have moves which perform two or more of them simultaneously.
This would be akin to having, for example, a single move that rotates
one side of a Rubik’s 4-Cube while simultaneously rotating the opposite
side (Since rotating both sides exactly the same way has a nice
interpretation as rotating a center slice, there is an argument for
keeping such a move around, but besides that case such a move would
serve only to add unnecessary complication.)
As an example consider the two rotations:
x <- -y
y <- x
z <- z
w <- w
and
x <- x
y <- y
z <- -w
w <- z
I would argue there is no need to have a move which performs these
rotations simultaneously.

– Nate