Message #112

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Presenting 3D Cube looking from inside out
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:01:04 -0600

On Sunday, March 27, "David Barr" <david20708@gmail.com> wrote:
>Two Java applets come to mind. I wrote the first one:

>http://www.puzzlingaddiction.com/Cube/applet/
>http://www.geocities.com/jaapsch/puzzles/cubie.htm

I had not found those. The second one has some the
more impressive elaborations I have seen in any of the
Rubik’s Cube simulators. David’s comes closest to
simulating what I recall. The main difference is that
what I was looking for displayed the top face with it
set aside (to the right, as I recall; and as opposed
to just tilted up and out), as viewed from the outside
(exception for this one face), and with correct aspect
ratio (square). I think that displaying the top
(only) as viewed from the outside makes it easier to
visualize how its stickers lay relative to those in
the top rows of the vertical faces.

I may try diddling David’s code to make it do what I
want - that is if I can figure out how it works. ;-)

I am becoming more confident that the original thing I
saw was a magazine article; and, if anyone knows the
details of the reference, I would still be interested
to learn about it.

Regards,
David V.