Message #30

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Fwd: intro
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:41:35 -0000

Date: Tue Jul 8, 2003 3:37 pm

— In MC4D@yahoogroups.com, "fifteensecondsofmadness" <sug@s…>
wrote:
hello!

i’d just like to say hi and thanks for inviting me to the group!

i’m 31, and i live in toronto. i have a degree in accounting and am
currently looking to gain the training necessary in order to become a
chartered accountant.

my interest in cubing began when i was around 8 or 10 ten years. i
used to see how many of my classmates’ cubes i could solve during
recess.

after a few years of keeping my cube "on the top shelf" (ie, high
school and university), i picked it up again a couple of years ago and
i’m now more addicted to it then when i was a kid!

my recent discovery of the power of the internet with respect to
cubing led me to the 4d cube. i decided that i’d avoid reading all
solutions, tips, etc. on this one and just outright try it to see how
i’d do. well, as you can see by my logfile (which i’ll post after
this message), i managed to solve it after 6000 moves! i surely
didn’t use the most efficient method. ;) after solving blue, i
essentialy used one algorithm to solve all the middle pieces. once i
had the green pieces in place, i used a combination of james nourse’s
and lars petrus’ 3x3 solutions. i had to implement a "reversal"
algorithm for each of the algorithms i used at this stage (for more
detail, let me know!).

i plan to go the championships in toronto as a spectator… i don’t
think my times in any of the categories are even close! ;)

other than my interest in cubing, i’ve been a linux newbie for about
three years.

ryan

p.s. believe in not, my yahoo handle has nothing to do with cubing!
— End forwarded message —