Message #4186

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Electronic 2x2x2x2
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 17:06:35 -0800

Yes, it’s difficult to understand the operation on a scrambled puzzle. I think those switches at the middle of the struts sort of ‘push’ that face around an axis parallel to the strut. It looks like he didn’t program the ones near the corners to do anything, and I can’t think what they could do in any similarly easy to understand way.

I like that it doubles as a lamp, and with enough carefully chosen colors, they should average out to adding white light to the room. The design is handsome, and I love that it favors cubies over stickers. It’s especially nice that he published his source code and models. (This appears to be the right branch. <https://github.com/roman-tershak/4DMC-Model/tree/92%25>) I think he’s a bit sick of the project which turned out more difficult than he expected, but that’s understandable given the scope of what’s involved. I think he’d be thrilled and encouraged if someone else built their own and made some contributions to the code or even just talked with him about it.

I’ve added it to a catch-all playlist of other people’s 4D twisty puzzles here:

https&#58;//www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx1mIVtz33hITKuvUBhswO5Cd4In4ajQr

-Melinda