Message #4150

From: mananself@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Non-associative "twisty" puzzles
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 22:19:04 +0000

Hi Luna,

I’m glad that you find it interesting. I’m curious about your way to reliably solving it, even though you don’t call it a method.

Thank you for adding the power, conj, inv methods. I believe we should only help users when they know how to use generators and multiplication to get the outputs of these methods.

It’s easy to see that the power method a**n is easily constructible from the generators, because one can keep multiplying "a" n times. I think inv is probably constructible, because I guess one can prove any element repeated enough times can eventually go to identity. And repeating one less time gives us the inverse. But one may explore for a while before finding it out.

Is there an easy way to construct conjugate of any expression?

We also need to clarify the order of operation when we introduce the new operations.

Feel free to raise a pull request if you think your change is complete. I welcome refactoring as well.

I actually see this Python implementation as a proof of concept. If we find a better and intuitive representation, we should switch to that. We’ll revamp the UI anyway. That’s why I didn’t pay much attention on how things look.

Luna, I was surprised that you didn’t color the winning message. Haha.

Nan