Message #4139

From: Andrew Farkas <ajfarkas12@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Notation and turn metrics for the 2x2x2x2
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:12:18 -0400

I tried to include every move I’ve heard of, whether or not it is
considered canonical, since they may be useful in scrambling or describing
gyro sequences. *Ru* and similar are equivalent to their bracketed forms;
e.g. *R[U]*. (These are ROIL-style 3D moves) *M*, *E*, and *S* are the
letters used for slice moves
<https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/3x3x3_notation#Slice_Turns> on
(n>2)^3 puzzles, which I noticed Marc had used to describe stacking moves
on the twisty-stacky 2^3.

I entirely agree that the snap metric should not be used for any
fewest-moves competition, since it’s rather subjective (as I pointed out);
I only intend for it to be used in the context of quantifying the
difficulty of an algorithm.

Speaking of canonical moves, is there a consensus on those 3D moves (other
than the 0-mod-4 restriction)? Fourtega as it exists right now (which I’d
like to call "Parallel Fourtega," since there may be a 4D Ortega variant in
the future that does not solve the two halves in parallel/separately 😉) is
highly dependent on them, but there could surely be other methods that
solve the puzzle more holistically.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 3:55 PM ‘Eduard Baumann’ ed.baumann@bluewin.ch
[4D_Cubing] <4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> More pictures for the notation for 2x2x2x2
>

> Best regards
> Ed

"Machines take me by surprise with great frequency." - Alan Turing