Message #4112

From: Marc Ringuette <ringuette@solarmirror.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 2x2x2x2: mini-puzzle "twisty stacky 2^3"
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 10:42:55 -0700

Hi, Melinda, thanks for the thumbs-up.

So far, the name of the mini-puzzle is just its description, the "twisty
stacky 2^3".

I’ve already solved it in a straightforward way; I’d say its difficulty
is 1/10 or 2/10 if you already know how to solve the regular twisty 2^3,
compared to about 8/10 for the full 2x2x2x2 puzzle.   So, I think it’s a
really nice stepping stone that eases you into reasoning about the 12
orientations of the pieces, and how to "get access to" different corners
by moving them on and off the outside.   It seems particularly nice for
someone who has become stuck in trying to solve the full puzzle.

I’m not sure about the relation to other 4D puzzles.  I’m tempted to
guess that it’s a physical 3D version of a 4D 2x2x2x1 twisty puzzle, or
something like that.   That’ll be fun to think about later.

Spoiler alert!   If you’d like to enjoy figuring out the twisty stacky
2^3 totally on your own, you should probably stop reading and go do
that.   In fact, I should have put a spoiler alert on the link to my
monoflip video.   The initial intro video, however, is spoiler free.

(hint #1) – One horribly inefficient way to solve the puzzle is to just
"monoflip" each of the purple corners to the outside, one by one, using
the algorithm I gave in my 2nd video, and then use any 2^3 method on the
result.   There are no weird cases; you just reduce the orientations to
the ones of the twisty 2^3 and then solve.   I think it would be much
more satisfying, though, to find your own way of putting "purple corners
out" in groups of four.

(hint #2) – If you take the solved puzzle and apply the moves E R E,
you can see that the corners that were pointed into the center of the R
face have moved to the outside, and vice versa.  The left half of the
puzzle is unchanged.  Then applying E R’ E will go back to solved.

(hint #3)  Once you’re down to one or two non-purple corners, think
about conjugating E R E with a corner twister algorithm.   This is more
or less what I did with my monoflip.

Cheers
Marc