Message #4071

From: Marc Ringuette <ringuette@solarmirror.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 2x2x2x2: Monoflip demo side-by-side with MC4D
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:22:23 -0700

Andy,

Oh, now I see what you were saying about the Iy macro’s algorithm
looking RKT-ish. I think you confused me (and perhaps yourself) by
including the final IU move in the RKT portion.   That final move messes
up the "0 mod 4" and leaves a twist in the buffer piece. Instead, I’d
consider the final IU move separately:

    Iy (phys) = *IU’ RO2 IF RO2* *IU **RO2 IF’ RO2***IU**(virt)

The bold part above corresponds precisely to a nice 3D algorithm on the
*I *subcube, *F2 U2 R2 F2 z’ y’, *that does not permute any pieces at
all, but reorients all of them.    This is exactly what is needed, since
the final *IU *is very like the desired *Iy*, permuting the pieces the
same, except that all the orientations need to end up differently.

Cool.

Cheers
Marc